Wednesday, January 9, 2013

An Homage to SprinkleBakes

Double Ginger, Honey, Raw Cocoa Spiced Hot Chocolate Sticks
I have a food crush on Heather Baird of SprinkleBakes. She is a true culinary artist. Her culinary creativity and her imaginative sense of beauty are unmatched (in my opinion) in the sugar-coated world. She inspires me to push the boundaries of flavor profiles and challenges my eye for the pretty.

She posted a beautifully crafted Spiced Hot Chocolate on a Stick to the ModCloth blog before Christmas and I vowed to attempt it so my 5 year-old could have a unique gift to give her teachers. But sickness fell on our house like an anvil...Maddie missed her last week of school and we all spent most of the Christmas break trying to recover from respiratory issues.

On the eve before she returned to school and our bodies mostly in clear, we gave Heather's recipe a whirl. It was easy and tasty. Mads was so excited to try it. But I couldn't help but think that part of the reason we haven't been able to get over our colds is related to the amount of sugar we consumed over the holidays.

So I adapted the recipe in a way that would still excite my 5 year-old but would put less stress on her hard working immune system. Her only disappointment was that she wasn't allowed to eat the chocolate right off the stick...she is my carbon copy, afterall.

I eliminated the confectioners sugar and added a little raw organic honey and substituted raw organic cocoa powder in place of regular cocoa powder. Both are high in antioxidants so though this is a treat for my little one and not to be consumed daily, it will work with her instead of against her.

The taste is reminiscent of this recipe for Ginger Honey Shot Chocolate I posted earlier...only this version is portable and giftable! Just let the recipients know to stir it into 6 oz of hot milk or non-dairy alternative.

Note: my husband broke his camera lens so I am without his fancy camera and have to use my iPad...this is in no way an attempt to be trendy! :)

Double Ginger Honey Raw Cocoa Spiced Hot Chocolate on a Stick

Adapted from SprinkleBakes guest entry on ModCloth blog.

You will need:
8 oz 70% dark chocolate (I use Callebaut)
1/2 cup pure organic raw cocoa powder (I use Organic Nectars)
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon (plus a little to sprinkle on top)
1/4 tsp cloves
2-4 tbs raw organic honey (optional)
Ziploc or piping bag
1 oz paper or plastic cups (or silicone mini muffin tray or rounded ice cube tray might work)
wooden popsicle sticks, lollipop sticks, bamboo/wooden spoons, or a pretty vintage silver spoon (whatever you'd like to use to make the "stick")
star anise and/or cinnamon sticks to garnish

In a double broiler (simmering water in a pot, place bowl with chocolate on top of pot, not touching the water) melt the chocolate until nearly melted. Remove and stir until all chocolate is melted.

Sift in the dry ingredients and stir. It will be quite thick. Stir in honey, if you choose to sweeten, until everything is well combined. It might look a little grainy but that's ok.

Scrape into piping bag (or Ziploc) and squeeze into cups (about 1 oz). Place "stick" in the middle...should be thick enough to hold it upright. Sprinkle a little cinnamon and place a star anise or cinnamon stick (or both) to garnish.

Refrigerate for 5-10 minutes until hard. Should pop out of plastic cups, but you may have to cut it out of paper cups.

Pour 6 oz hot steamed milk over and let melt for a few minutes, then stir.
Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Kristen, these look beautiful, fun, and delicious! I have high hopes of making these in the near future. I love your idea of it being a gift for M's teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marcia! They were delicious...if you want a real treat just add 3oz of hot milk...enough to melt it down into "shot" chocolate! so rich and a good gingery kick. feels nice at the end of a cold.

    ReplyDelete